Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 5, 2014

1-5-14 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:



Interesting Infographic: “The Most Important Developments In Human History”
Have students create their own list, along with their justifications, might be a useful project…. Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.
Chinese New Year Resources
Chinese New Year will begin on January 31st, 2014 and marks the start of the Year of the Horse. You might be interested in The Best Resources For Chinese New Year.
From The Archives: “The Michigan Fish Test and school reform”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Today, I’m highlighting a piece I wrote for The Washington Post about three years ago titled The Michigan Fish Test and school reform. Here’s an excerpt:

Special Edition: This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Good Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here are some recent useful posts and articles on education policy issues (usually, I just post one of these collections each week, but several good ones have appeared since I published a “round-up” a few days ago): Arguing Vergara on Twitter is a summary of a Twitter discussion on a pending court case that could end teacher seniority protections here in California. John Thompson has written a pi

This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” — January (Part One)
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful


37th ELT Blog Carnival Just Published!
Andrea Wade has just published the 36th ELT Blog Carnival (formerly known as the ESL/EFL/ELL Blog Carnival) and it’s a great one on “Resolutions.” Teachers from around the world have contributed posts. The next edition will be hosted by Anita Jankovic and its about “Blogging With Your ClassSubmit your entries by Jan. 30th. You can see all the previous Blog Carnivals here. And you can express you
“‘Failure Is A Critical Part Of Learning’: An Interview With Art Markman”
‘Failure Is A Critical Part Of Learning’: An Interview With Art Markman is my latest post at Education Week Teacher. Art Markman, PhD is a professor of Psychology at the University of Texas at Austin.  He is the author of Smart Thinking (Perigee Books), which he discussed at a post at my Ed Wk blog last year. His latest book is titled Smart Change: Five Tools To Create New and Sustainable Habits I


From The Archives: “Eight Things Skilled Teachers Think, Say, and Do”
I’ve recently re-started an effort I’ve tried to do previously by regularly highlighting previous posts and articles I’ve shared in previous years that I think might be worth a second look. Eight Things Skilled Teachers Think, Say, and Do is an article I wrote for ASCD Educational Leadership in October, 2012. ASCD stopped listing their most popular articles in September of last year, but for the e
January’s Infographics & Interactives Galore – Part One
There are just so many good infographics and interactives out there that I’ve begun a new semi-regular feature called “Infographics & Interactives Galore.” You can see others at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Infographics and by searching “infographics” on this blog. I’ll still be publishing separate posts to individually highlight especially useful infographics and interactives, but you
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Week… 1-4-14 …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EF
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFLLARRY FERLAZZO’S WEBSITES OF THE DAY“How Teachers and Parents Work Together for Student Success”How Teachers and Parents Work Together for Student Success is a useful article from NEA Today. Here’s an excerpt: If you show a willingness to learn more about your students from their parents, then they’ll be more willing to work