Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

1-14-14 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher

Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.:

#5




Thousands of teachers in Puerto Rico strike against pension cuts.
Thousands of teachers across Puerto Rico walked off their jobs Tuesday in a noisy two-day strike over cuts to their pensions that the island’s government says are necessary to avert financial disaster but that educators say will force many of them into poverty. The teachers gathered with tambourines, cowbells and bullhorns outside public schools across the island on the first day of classes afte



Real world math.
“I do not understand your last post.  How do you figure the $10.00,” writes a friend about my assertion that SB1 means $10 an hour for retirees. That’s Squeezy’s proposal for a minimum wage. Let me do the real world math. If the average retiree is getting $48,000 a year now, what will that be worth in 20 years. Why 20 years? Because pensions are all about future earnings. The end to our cost of li
IEA and IFT joint statement on Special Needs class size limits.
  Joint letter from Cinda Klickna, President, Illinois Education Association, and Dan Montgomery, President, Illinois Federation of Teachers. The IFT, IEA and our members oppose the State Board’s proposed 226.730 Staffing Plan. We believe in providing students with disabilities access to the most effective and appropriate education within the least restrictive environment. We further believe all
I’m thinking about the minimum wage and my pension.
Nothing good will emerge from the race for Illinois Governor. No matter who wins. I was driving home from the gym yesterday afternoon and there was another discussion of Bruce Rahmer’s disastrous comments on the topic. The fact is that in spite of all the shouting about Bruce Rahmer’s flip-flop, none of the Republican candidates support raising  the minimum wage. In fact they don’t support a mini
1-13-14 Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher
Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.: Keeping retirement weird. 450 years of teaching experience.When I retired from teaching in June of 2012, I walked out of my building on the last day of school with nothing in my hands. Anne picked me up and we drove to the airport. All the retirement celebrating had been done. My union honored me and