Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

I Was A Different Person Last year…

I Was A Different Person Last year…:




I Was A Different Person Last year…

by EDWARDBERGER on DECEMBER 31, 2013
Ed, all you ever blog or Tweet about is education. Ending this year, can’t you write about something else?
Okay, from 2013 here is something educational, but not about our schools:
When I was in college, I inherited old books from an Englishman’s library. One set of leather-bound books contained the complete works of Bulwer Litton. As I sorted the books, I made a major error. Reading the circular emblem stamped into the leather covers of the old books, I read: THE PENIS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD. I thought, “That makes sense.”
Bulwer’s quote stayed in my head for years – in fact, it is still there, next to the actual quote: THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD. I have a tinge of guilt that I thought the quote said something other than Bulwer intended. Sorry Bulwer, but the misreading has changed my insight into things.
Why the first reading made sense proves informative. For example, to understand that the rise of some cults started by male prophets were ways to get into the – let’s call it the genetic pool – of the population. In the case