Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 9, 2013

Disecting Mike Huckabee's Statement on the Common Core | Truth in American Education

Disecting Mike Huckabee's Statement on the Common Core | Truth in American Education:

Disecting Mike Huckabee’s Statement on the Common Core

Filed in Common Core State Standards by  on December 9, 2013 • 0 Comments
image
Mike Huckabee during the monologue on his weekend show on Fox News addressed the topic of the Common Core State Standards and his position on it.  I watched with interest and some hope as I heard from some of his supporters that he was coming around to our side.  I left disappointed.  Not to say everything he had to say was bad – there are some things within his statement with which those of fighting the Common Core can agree.  What I was most disappointed by was the way in which he framed the debate.  I think it further confuses the issue and does not help in advancing our attempt to root these standards out.
If I were to boil his statement down it would read: “I oppose what the Common Core has become, the Common Core as a brand is dead, but let’s keep the standards and the assessments.”
I wanted to provide an analysis of his statement below.
I don’t support what Common Core has become in many states or school districts.  I am dead set against the Federal government creating a uniform curriculum for any subject.  I oppose the collection of data on any student in order to identify them and then track them,