Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 17, 2013

12-17-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:




A tenured sociologist gets a bit of the #teacherprep treatment, more like #teacherperp @scottjaschik
In a nutshell, a tenured professor at UC-Boulder is leaving the university because the administration is no longer allowing her to implement a lecture on prostitution that includes a role-play, whereby teaching assistants for the course play dress up as various kinds of “whores” and get interviewed by the class. You know, you’re just going […]



A Teacher’s 12 Days of Christmas
On the first day of Christmas my students gave to me: A Well Deserved Day Alone On the second day of Christmas my students gave to me: Two Misplaced Gloves and a Well Deserved Day Alone On the third day of Christmas my students gave to me: Three Broken Pens Two Misplaced Gloves and a […]


My December 2013 Michigan Board of Education Testimony
In November 2013, I was asked if I would testify at the December 17, 2013, Michigan State Board of Education meeting. Michigan is considering emulating the New Orleans so-called model Recovery School District (RSD) (including the supposed “parental choice” afforded by open enrollment)  as well as using letter grades for schools. Since I could not be in […]

VAMboozled by Empty-Suit Leadership in SC
VAMboozled by Empty-Suit Leadership in SC. via VAMboozled by Empty-Suit Leadership in SC.


  
12-15-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: Do you think charter schools “know how to do middle school really well?”According to DCPS Chancellor Kaya Henderson, charter schools “know how to do middle school really well.” When it comes to defining the phrase “really well,” are education reformers basing their narrative of quantity over quality, i.e. proficiency rates versus growth? What do you – @thechalkfacers – think? In