Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 16, 2013

12-16-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:





“The 20 most popular TED Talks” Of All Time
TED has just published a list of their twenty most popular Talks of all time — as of December, 2013. Sir Ken Robinson’s talk is number one. I’m adding this info to The Best Teacher Resources For “TED Talks” (& Similar Presentations).

“Stoodle” Could Be The Best “Virtual Corkboard” Site Out There
There are lots of sites out there that let you create virtual “corkboards” and you can see them at The Best Online Virtual “Corkboards” (or “Bulletin Boards”). Padlet (formerly known as Wallwisher) is probably the most well-known tool of this kind. Richard Byrne recently shared about a new site that might end up being the best of the bunch. It’s called Stoodle. Like the best of the other sites, y

Using “PixiClip” With English Language Learners
Last week, I posted about the new web tool called “PixiClip” (see “PixiClip” Is A Neat Drawing Tool For English Language Learners). It’s a drawing tool that doesn’t require any registration and has a feature of letting you provide an audio commentary to your artistry. I explained that I thought it had a lot of potential for English Language Learners, and that I was going to give it a try this wee


“Records Of Rights” Is Impressive National Archives Site
Records of Rights is a new interactive site from the National Archives. It highlights First Amendment rights, Native American rights, workplace rights, equal rights, rights to privacy and sexuality, and more. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For “Bill Of Rights Day,” which was yesterday, though I assume when I falls on a Sunday it’s recognized on a Monday….


Using Current Events As A Language-Learning Activity
Students watch videos on current events, answer questions, and create their own in my latest NY Times post for English Language Learners. Includes a student interactive and teaching ideas. You can see all my previous NY Times posts here.

YESTERDAY

December’s Infographics & Interactives Galore — Part One
There are just so many good infographics and interactives out there that I’ve begun a new semi-regular feature called “Infographics & Interactives Galore.” You can see others at A Collection Of “The Best…” Lists On Infographics and by searching “infographics” on this blog. I’ll still be publishing separate posts to individually highlight especially useful infographics and interactives, but you
This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” — December
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful

12-15-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL
Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: Study: Standardized Tests Don’t Measure “Fluid Intelligence”People might differ with my interpretation of a new study that has just come out (and I’d love to hear if you do), but it seems to me that it has found that standardized testing may measure how well a school is doing on training students on lower-level thinking ski