Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 18, 2013

Two Responses to Common Core Standards: Ten Colossal Errors - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Two Responses to Common Core Standards: Ten Colossal Errors - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:

Two Responses to Common Core Standards: Ten Colossal Errors

Yesterday I posted a commentary on what I believe to be major errors that make the Common Core standards project unworthy of our support. I invited anyone to provide evidence that would contradict my point of view. Thus far, nobody has done so. However, two comments came in that suggest a different approach, and since this reflects the views of many, I thought it worthwhile to share these, and invite more discussion. 
The first came from a reader named jpatten, who commented:
I think what would make this piece stronger is to have actually identified specific standards and identified the problems with them. From what I understand from the piece, the issue is mostly how the standards were developed and not the standards. Also, by saying that, "I do not believe the standards themselves are significantly better than those of most states, and thus they do not offer any real advantages." You lead the reader thinking they are also no worse than what states currently have now. This leads me to believe spending more money (time) on increasing the feedback and input may not have led to different results. From what I understand of the standards, they do not dictate curriculum or instruction. They do not specify what curriculum should be used for English learners, children from low socio-economic environments, "gate" students, or the many other factors that influence the needs of our