Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

They’ve got their talking points. Where are ours? | District Administration Magazine

They’ve got their talking points. Where are ours? | District Administration Magazine:

They’ve got their talking points. Where are ours?

Those who control the conversation call the shots
I recently listened to a call-in show on a local National Public Radio station. The head of the state’s board of education was interviewed about the recent standardized test scores in her state. Two teachers called in. Here’s my takeaway from the conversation (somewhat out of context, but the words are accurate):
Board head: “The results from the new assessments will give educators, parents, policy makers and the public a more realistic picture of where students are in this pathway to becoming college and career ready.”
First call-in teacher: “On the second day of the English test some of my top students, kids who scored fours in previous years, were not able to complete this test. My kids were weeping.”
Head: “First of all, the highlighting of the testing in terms of what’s been going on in the press, in terms of what parents are reading in the local newspapers, I think that added to the stress. Additionally, I think teachers were well aware that this was the first year in (my state) where student test scores were going to be used as a barometer of teacher performance. I think all of those factors have added to an unusually stressful situation.”
Second call-in teacher: “We can make our own exams. We don’t need another metric. All the