Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 11, 2013

“Diversity is Hard”: Will Charter Schools In Your Locale Choose Equity? | Cloaking Inequity

“Diversity is Hard”: Will Charter Schools In Your Locale Choose Equity? | Cloaking Inequity:

“Diversity is Hard”: Will Charter Schools In Your Locale Choose Equity?

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 8.41.17 AM
I am not of the ilk that charters are all bad news (See all of Cloaking Inequity’s post on charter schools here). As most people know, I am a charter school parent, currently serve on a charter school board, and was an instructor at an Aspire charter school. I realize that I have prominent friends and allies that are 100% anti-charter. I am okay with those feelings because I have serious concerns with equity in the charter movement.
Here in the Lone Star State I am unsure if there is a community more enamored with charters than San Antonio. This love affair has been spurred by millions of dollars in donations by the Brackenridge Foundation and otherventure philanthropist involved in “Choose to Succeed.” Previously on Cloaking Inequity I have taken aim at corporate charter chains because of my concerns with their equity for low-SES students (See Great HeartsBASIS, and KIPP). In fact, I began Cloaking Inequity so that I could respond to a KIPP press release criticizing our peer-reviewed study about the attrition of African American students from charters in Texas (“Work Hard, Be Nice?”: A Response to KIPP).
What is the state of charter movement? Well, if you look at graduation and dropout numbers in Texas you will probably be shocked. I was. I pulled the following table from the most recent Texas dropout and completion report