Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 7, 2013

11-7-13 Ed Notes Online

Ed Notes Online:




New Haven Teachers Union Sells Out - Again - With Old Joel Klein Buddy Garth Harries
"Ciararella, who won reelection unopposed after the last contract..."? Seriously? Are we seriously at the level of discussion where these changes can occur in a New Haven and leadership doesn't even get challenged at the very next election?.... JG Posted to MORE-NewsHarries said Cicarella’s list is “an accurate description of a negotiation position.” But it was a negotiation tactic, he s

Portelos Hearing Continues Today/ Don't Tread on Educators Forum Next Week
I'm just running out to make the hearing and also want to alert everyone to the event Francesco is putting together next Thursday at 6PM in Elmhurst.While I am agreeing to not report details of the testimony at the hearing I will still blog about the atmosphere, who is in the room, who is testifying and any idiot things the DOE lawyers do. One of the major demands we need to make on de Blasio is t

Vido: Funeral for 168 Schools Chosed Under Bloomberg
http://youtu.be/USnAoe3vgEU
Will de Blasio Make Randi's Folly - er - the UFT Charter - Pay The Damn Rent?
Eva Moskowitz is viewed as a big loser in the election and the UFT even though they jumped on the bandwagon late is viewed as a winner. But what of the charters occupying public school space - given to the UFT by the way by their pal Kathy Cashin when she ran Region 5 (Dist. 19, 23 and 27)? My guess is that it is no longer politically tenable for the UFT to get free space if deB makes Eva pay.DeB
Time Out For Fun: Peter Lugers, Rockaway Ferry and My Backyard Project
I just can't stand to throw anything away – unless I'm blessed by a massive hurricane that floods my entire basement to the ceiling and leaves 5 feet of water in my house. I am wiping pics off my phone and what better place to store them than at ednotes?Peter LugerEvery year we celebrate my wife's cousin's birthday with steaks at Peter Luger in Williamsburg, which by the way is a few blocks from P
11-6-13 Ed Notes Online
Ed Notes Online: Turn on, Tune in, Opt Out: Change the Stakes Featured in Article in The NationDiana Zavala says parents are taking the reins of school governance, but with one key difference from administrators: “You can’t fire us.”... The Nation  Wooo hooo. Our awesome parent activists make the big time. Now I'm definitely going to the CTS steering committee meeting this afternoon at the very le