Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, October 14, 2013

The Common Core Public License: Guess Who Wins? | deutsch29

The Common Core Public License: Guess Who Wins? | deutsch29:

The Common Core Public License: Guess Who Wins?

October 13, 2013


On October 10, 2013, I published a post, The Fight to Save Common Core: Count Me Outin which I briefly discuss the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) public license. In this post, I more closely examine the CCSS license in order to offer a more detailed account of both its contents and the implications of those contents.  The CCSS license betrays the business of CCSS– one where profit potential abounds as those with power excuse themselves from responsibility.
Garnering profits and forsaking responsibility: Cornerstones of corporate reform.
Defining Key Terms
Copyright law is complex. I am not a lawyer; I am a teacher and researcher. As such, I approach this post from the perspective of a researcher attempting to better educate herself (and by extension, my readers) on what exactly this CCSS license includes. In order to foster a clear understanding of this post, I offer now the following definitions of key terminology:
Copyright:  the exclusive legal right, given to an originator or an assignee to print,