Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Leading Innovative Change Series – Excellence Lies Within | Connected Principals

Leading Innovative Change Series – Excellence Lies Within | Connected Principals:

Leading Innovative Change Series – Excellence Lies Within

October 16, 2013
By 
I wanted to try my hand at writing a series of blog posts on “Leading Innovative Change.” As I am looking at writing a book on the same topic, I thought I would put some ideas out there and hopefully learn from others on these topics. I also want to give these ideas away for free. These posts are for anyone in education, but are mostly focused on school administrators. In all of these, the idea that administrators openly model their learning will only accelerate a culture of innovation and risk-taking.  You can read the first two posts in the series:
1. Learning First, Technology Second
2. A New Staff Experience
“It takes far less energy to move from first-rate performance to excellence than it does to move from incompetence to mediocrity.” Peter Drucker
Years ago as a teacher, I wanted to start a blog as I had just recently heard about them and wanted to see how they would work in the classroom.  When I approached my principal about starting one, his response was that although he knew that I would be comfortable doing it, it would make others on staff feel uncomfortable if it was a success.  I asked him if he was joking, and he looked at me seriously to let me know he wasn’t.
Later in the year, when we had some new technology in the school that was used for a specific program, I had asked if I could use it with students to try out, promising that once I figured it out, I