Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 12, 2013

If I Were A Student, I Would Ask My… | Ward 8 DC Teacher

If I Were A Student, I Would Ask My… | Ward 8 DC Teacher:

If I Were A Student, I Would Ask My…

If I were a student in a high poverty public school, I would pose the following questions to my teachers, guidance counselor, principal, and parents/guardians. The intent of this piece is not to score cheap education reform or political points. After a few years experience teaching in a high poverty public middle school, this piece simply reflects some of my students points-of-view.
Question #1
If I where a student, I would ask my teacher why they spend more time yelling at the misbehaving students than reminding me that I’m doing a great job. I would like to hear you tell me that you’re proud of me. I hate being ignored, especially when I’m doing everything I’m supposed to do.
Question #2
If I where a student, I would ask my teacher why I have to fill-in worksheets. Do you realize I live in