Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Coop Goes to High School Part 6 – In Front of the Lights | Lefty Parent

Coop Goes to High School Part 6 – In Front of the Lights | Lefty Parent:

Coop Goes to High School Part 6 – In Front of the Lights

October 12th, 2013 at 15:15
Me on the right in Lord of the Flies
Me on the right in Lord of the Flies
Returning from a week of something completely different, my junior year spring break trip with my school Russian club to the Soviet Union, I was about to plunge into a new developmental phase after a recent twelve months filled with one developmental experience after another.  I was already in many ways transformed from the person I’d been that previous April.  Still shy and intimidated by most adults, and filled with a fair amount of general anxiety, but beginning to be able to define and establish myself as a unique person playing a significant role in a larger community of people.
At the moment, Junior Light Opera, the unique youth theater group I had plunged into the midst of, was my main developmental “growing edge”, along with the feminist ideologies I was being exposed to in my extended “family” of my mom’s close female friends (what I now dub my “Feminist Aunts”).  In JLO I had become a respected member and part of the leadership circle of the company and had developed and demonstrated my technical skills backstage,