Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, October 18, 2013

10-18-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL:



Ferlazzo200(1)

"Self-Driven Learning: Teaching Strategies for Student Motivation" is



Wow! What A Treasure Trove Of Infographics
Information Is Beautiful, the world’s premiere resource for infographics, has just announced their 2013 Longlist for infographic and interactive awards. It’s an amazing collection. You might also be interested in last year’s nominees, too.

Infographic: Halloween Spending
I’m adding this infographic to The Best Websites For Learning About Halloween:
“Dream School” Reality Show Is Awful In So Many Ways….
Today, Alexander Russo posted about what has to be one of the worst ideas of the year — a new series on the Sundance Channel called “Dream School.” Here’s the awful trailer: I’m not even going to say anything more because Rachel Nobel has already said all that needs to be said over at a post on Ed Wize. You really need to go over and read the entire post, but here’s an excerpt: this show seems t
Creating Vine Videos With English Language Learners
I’ve previously posted a number of resources about using the video apps Vine and Instagram in the classroom (see The Best Resources For Learning To Use The Video App “Vine”). Today, I had my Beginning English Language Learners try it out, and it went great! We used the videos as a formative assessment to determine their understanding of new vocabulary, and they loved creating them. And it was so

Infographic: “Are You Ready for a Natural Disaster?”
I’m adding this infographic to The Best Websites For Learning About Natural Disasters: Explore more infographics like this one on the web’s largest information design community – Visually.

YESTERDAY

Research Studies Of The Week
I often write about research studies from various fields and how they can be applied to the classroom. I write individual posts about ones that I think are especially significant, and will continue to do so. However, so many studies are published that it’s hard to keep up. So I’ve started writing a “round-up” of some of them each week or every other week as a regular feature: A recent study wa
This Week In Web 2.0
In yet another attempt to get at the enormous backlog I have of sites worth sharing, I’ve recently begin a regular feature called “The Week In Web 2.0.” It’ll be a short compilation of new decent sites that are worth noting, but maybe not necessarily worth a separate post and generally — though not always — not worthy of being on a “The Best…” list (let me know if you think I’m wrong in my assess
This Week’s “Round-Up” Of Useful Posts & Articles On Education Policy
Here are some relatively recent good posts and articles on education policy issues: The Value Added & Growth Score Train Wreck is Here is from School Finance 101. I’m adding it to The Best Resources For Learning About The “Value-Added” Approach Towards Teacher Evaluation. John Merrow has some interesting thoughts on NBC’s “Education Nation.” The Glossary of Education Reform is: a comprehensiv
Around The Web In ESL/EFL/ELL
I’ve started a somewhat regular feature where I share a few posts and resources from around the Web related to ESL/EFL or to language in general that have caught my attention: Writing bingo is a very creative lesson plan from Sandy Millin. I’m adding it to The Best Websites For K-12 Writing Instruction/Reinforcement. Ana Maria Menezes blogs about the mini “sister class” project my students are
This Week’s “Links I Should Have Posted About, But Didn’t” – October
I have a huge backlog of resources that I’ve been planning to post about in this blog but, just because of time constraints, have not gotten around to doing. Instead of letting that backlog grow bigger, I regularly grab a few and list them here with a minimal description. It forces me to look through these older links, and help me organize them for my own use. I hope others will find them helpful





10-17-13 Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL

Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day… | …For Teaching ELL, ESL, & EFL: "Classroom Management Q&As: Expert Strategies for Teaching" is an edited compilation from my Ed Week teacher advice column, along with new materials.Resources From All My BlogsIn addition to this blog, I regularly post at several other sites: Engaging Parents In School: Weekly Posts At Classroom Q & A With