Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: Life of an ed bloger

Mike Klonsky's SmallTalk Blog: Life of an ed bloger:

Life of an ed bloger

"What the best and wisest parent wants for his own child, that must the community want for all of its children. Any other ideal for our schools is narrow and unlovely; acted upon it destroys our democracy." -- John Dewey

Every day my mailbox is filled with requests from different promoters, asking me to pimppump their products, their programs, and their private and charter schools. Urban public schools have no publicists.

Looks like fun, doesn't .
I have no idea why some of these folks think I would want to promote them. But sometimes I do, unintentionally. Case in point, this morning I got this missive from Glenn Gray, who promotes something called the Heritage Academy.

Hi Mike, [they always address me by my first name]
Heritage Academy – a progressive, coeducational school (grades 5-12) located on Hilton Head Island – announces a fall class representing 25 countries and 20 U.S. states. A record 11 different activities are featured this year, including aviation, ballroom dance, crew, equestrian, fast track education, golf, interior design, swimming, modern dance, tennis and volunteering. High res images are available upon request. Thank you for your consideration.
Tuition at Heritage is a modest $15K/year. Modest that is, when compared to Chicago's new