Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, September 22, 2013

How to Create a Negative School Climate 101 | Teachers' Letters to Bill Gates

How to Create a Negative School Climate 101 | Teachers' Letters to Bill Gates:

How to Create a Negative School Climate 101

Creating a Negative School Climate
Dear Mr. Gates and Mr. Duncan,              
I thought I had better get this to you now while it is still on my mind.
At the end of the last school year, I was informed that I would be teaching 7th and 8th grade language arts instead of the specialized, reading program I had taught for six years.  The reading program was highly effective, yet the administrator decided it was better to move me to regular Language Arts.  I asked for materials to study over the summer to prepare for my new assignment.  I was given nothing.  I started school with nothing. I had no textbooks and certainly no teacher’s editions to reference.  I had no technology available in my class.  Four weeks later, I still don’t.
The second day of school, I was evaluated based on the VAM system in our state.  I had 30 students in my tiny classroom at the time of evaluation…day two!  I was “red flagged” in three areas.  I had students sitting on the floor.  I had requested more tables and chairs or desks, not once, but three times.  I was told in passing to “deal with it”.  My small room can sit 18 students safely.  I had 30.  Once again, I was told, “deal with it”.  I was “red flagged”