Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

How I Might Have Intro'd The Bammy Awards - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson

How I Might Have Intro'd The Bammy Awards - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson:

How I Might Have Intro’d The Bammy Awards

by JOSE VILSON on SEPTEMBER 24, 2013
in JOSE
Secretary Arne Duncan and comedian Stephen Colbert, both of whose job I would do so much better at, but I'll stick to teaching anyways
Secretary Arne Duncan and comedian Stephen Colbert, both of whose job I would do so much better at, but I’ll stick to teaching anyways
There’s been lots of talk about this past Saturday’s Bammy Awards. I’ve written a bunch on diversity at the Bammys and even the executive producer left a comment here after our feisty discussion. However, I’ve kept mute during and after the Bammy Awards, letting others report out. As with any awards show, there were lots of bright spots and dim spots, almost all of them from people who actually attended. A discussion has erupted around the idea of humor and appropriateness in the education circle. Rather than speak on something I didn’t witness myself, I’d like a turn at introducing the Bammys. We’ll call it a do-over.
[Starts with Secretary of Education Arne Duncan welcoming everyone from his office. Insert platitudes about respect for teachers here. Zooms out where you see a black pair of pants on the left side of him. Duncan keeps talking, but as camera zooms out, audience notices Jose Vilson with "not impressed" face. Duncan keeps talking. Camera keeps zooming in to Vilson's face.
- See more at: http://thejosevilson.com/might-introd-bammy-awards/#sthash.bLWbKWMc.dpuf