Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, September 20, 2013

For District Leaders Considering Adopting the New Orleans “Miracle” Model | deutsch29

For District Leaders Considering Adopting the New Orleans “Miracle” Model | deutsch29:

For District Leaders Considering Adopting the New Orleans “Miracle” Model

September 20, 2013


New Orleans’ Recovery School District (RSD) is being promoted nationwide as a model of corporate reform “turnaround.”  Thus, numerous legislatures, superintendents and school boards across the country are facing the question of whether or not to emulate RSD.
In this post, I address school officials who are tempted to believe and adopt the RSD “miracle.”  RSD success is a lie.  I have written extensively on the RSD façade. All of my posts are well documented; I am a trained researcher, and I know the value of supporting my assertions with evidence. I realize that elected and appointed officials also need documentation to support critical education decisions.  Read my work. You will be well informed.
As for the state-run schools in New Orleans: There is no miracle. The show is being staged.
Jindal et. al Are Selling an Image
In this post, I examine several points worthy of serious consideration by those with the power to hand their districts over to the New Orleans veneer of reform.  The first issue concerns Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal’s ability to sell an illusion. As Louisiana blogger Cenlamar observes regarding Louisiana’s failed voucher program:
Even though Jindal’s voucher school program has lost all credibility in Louisiana, it could still appeal nationally, as a concept, because while Bobby Jindal may not be