Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 16, 2013

Diane in the Evening 9-16-13 Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all

Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all:





Eli Broad on Philanthropy
This article appeared in the Wall Street Journal. Many educators know Eli Broad mainly through the superintendents trained by his institute to view public education as a business: they shut down struggling public schools and replace them with privately managed charter schools. But here is Eli Broad, lover of the arts, worried about the disappearing middle class: WEEKEND CONFIDENTIAL September 13,

Why Are the 1% Getting Richer?
As states cut the budget for public schools, lay off teachers, increase class sizes, fire librarians and social workers, guidance counselors and teacher aides, we hear the same refrain: Sorry, the money’s all gone. But is it? Read this article and you will find where the money went.
Photo-Essay on the First Day of School in Chicago
A Korean camera crew showed this photo-essay to me. I think they had a hard time understanding the number of police officers that created “safe passage” for students on their way to school in Chicago. They came to interview me about how money affects the politics of education in the United States. The producer had a copy of The Death and Life of the Great American School System, translated into Ko
Alfie Kohn: Encouraging Educator Courage
Alfie Kohn has a terrific article in Education Week with the title above. It is behind a pay wall and I can’t repost it in full, lest I get an angry scolding from Edweek. But here are a few good excerpts: “It pains me to say this, but professionals in our field often seem content to work within the constraints of traditional policies and accepted assumptions-even when they don’t make sense. Conve

LISTEN TO DIANE RAVITCH 9-16-13 Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all
Diane Ravitch's blog | A site to discuss better education for all: United Opt Out Will Sponsor Book Club Discussion of “Reign of Error”Three years ago, when my last book was published, I heard from a professor in Pennsylvania named Tim Slekar who asked if I would join the opt-out movement. I told him no. I thought it was too extreme. I don’t think so anymore. Testing has become extreme. It is now