Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, September 30, 2013

9-30-13 @ THE CHALK FACE

@ THE CHALK FACE:








Call me a simpleton, but I love me some Mailbox!
I just resubscribed to The Mailbox Magazine. Prior to graduate school and the whole intellectual thing, I used to love getting new issues. It always seemed like I received something right after I taught it. Now, I’m NOT liking all the Common Core alignment nonsense. And I know all of my former higher education colleagues […]


Why Poverty and Mass Incarceration Do Not Matter in the U.S. | the becoming radical
Why Poverty and Mass Incarceration Do Not Matter in the U.S. | the becoming radical.
Some “Helpful” Advice
So, today in my email, I get this little “gem” –  some “helpful” advice from my BOCES Center for implementing the Math Modules. OH JOYOUS DAY!! I am SO thankful that not only has NYSED told me exactly what to say, now my BOCES Center is giving me step by step advice about implementing the […]

David Coleman Runs The Voodoo Psychometrics Down
A late August HuffPo article by Joy Resmovitz entitled, “David Coleman, Common Core Writer, Gears Up For SAT Rewrite,” has been making the rounds on many of the Facebook groups I follow that focus on high-stakes testing, the Common Core Standards, and other issues of concern to teachers, parents, administrators, students, and other educational stakeholders. […]
9-29-13 @ The Chalk Face
@ THE CHALK FACE: Petrilli’s Embarrassing Post about Poor Mothers Being “Bad”This post is embarrassing—both for the content and the fact that Petrilli appears unaware how embarrassing it is. Single-mothers are not “bad”; they are overwhelmed. Education is not to create economically self-sufficient people (that serves the privileged who feed off the economy). Education’s goals are much BIGGER than