Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 28, 2013

9-28-13 teacherken at Daily Kos

teacherken at Daily Kos:




Teaching as relationship - a personal reflection
An incident yesterday is very much on my mind.  In my STEM Policy class we were talking about possible projects for which students could do Policy Briefs (their deliverables at the end of the semester course).  One young lady, a junior like all the other students, had decided to dispose of her original idea and explore another.  I immediately saw some possible problems and instead of my speaking a

SEP 23

Why I can no longer support Jared Polis
on many issues Jared Polis has been a strongly progressive Congressman.  I knew that he and I did not see eye to eye on charter schools, but I often disagree on matters of policy with people I feel free to support. What is not acceptable to me is to see someone engage in ad hominem attacks on someone who disagrees with them. By now many here know that Polis responded to a tweet in which Randi Wein
Wash Post likely voters TMac + 8
In this story for which the Post sent out a breaking news email alert, we find McAuliffe leads 47 percent to 39 percent among likely voters, with Libertarian candidate Robert Sarvis’s 10 percent suggesting an unrest among voters not satisfied with either major-party contender. In a one-on-one matchup without Sarvis in the mix, the poll shows a narrower, 49-44 race between McAuliffe and Cuccinell
Krugman goes after Republicans on SNAP
in a column today titled Free to be Hungry, which I highly recommend. He starts by noting the Right's obsession with the word "freedom"  (such as in Freedom Works and "freedom fries") before offering this gem of a paragraph: The right’s definition of freedom, however, isn’t one that, say, F.D.R. would recognize. In particular, the third of his famous Four Freedoms — freedom fro

SEP 21

Education Nation again - note what is missing?
From the Press Release from NBC: The fourth annual Summit will tackle what it takes for a student to be successful in the classroom and beyond. This year, the fourth annual Education Nation Summit will explore “What It Takes” to get a student through school and ready to succeed in college, career and beyond on Monday, October 7 and Tuesday, October 8. Through individual stories, we will form a col
Starting to stretch my students
It is Saturday morning.  It is my normal time to reflect on my week as a teacher, albeit a bit later than usual this morning - but for a good reason, as you can read here This week I began to stretch my students, in a variety of ways.  Interim reports get printed in the middle of next week, and distributed on Friday, so I had to get assessments in on all my students.  For AP Govt it is 70% of thei
September 21, 1974
was a Saturday.  It was late afternoon.   I had spent several hours visiting friends on the campus of Bryn Mawr College.  I lived not far away, in Rosemont, and I had planned to go into Philadelphia, riding the Paoli Line train, top attend a party to which I had been invited. I was 28 years old, working as a computer programmer analyst, living in a rented room. As I waited for my train, a familiar