Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, September 14, 2013

9-14-13 teacherken at Daily Kos

teacherken at Daily Kos:





 Saturday reflection on teaching - the year goes on
Yesterday ending the first complete week of teaching at my new school, the 3rd with students.  Our first week we only had freshmen on Monday, to walk their schedules, and the 2nd week was interrupted by Labor Day and Rosh Hashanah.  We see our classes on alternate days, A Day - B Day, each time for extended periods.  That first week periods were a bit short because we saw our advisory students eve

SEP 09

probably a propos of nothing
but just a few random thoughts as I sit in my classroom - I arrived at 6:15, we let students in around 7, and school officially begins at 7:17, although my first class today is not until 2nd period at 8:55 I sense a change in the political environment.  It is not just that the Republicans have overreached in appealing to their Tea Party element, although that is part of it.  That is reflected not

SEP 08

A daughter of Auschwitz in Northern Virginia
there is an amazing story in the Washington Post, titled Hiding in N. Virginia, a daughter of Auschwitz.  It is about Brigitt Höss  (born Inge-Brigitt Höss in 1933), whose father was the Commandant of Auschwitz.  The story is written by Thomas Alexander, who writes I discovered where she lived while doing research for “Hanns and Rudolf,” a book on how Höss was captured after the war by my great-un

SEP 07

Why I am grateful for Daily Kos
is simple -  it is a community that has made a huge difference in my life. It is through writing here that I developed a voice on education, and occasionally on other topics I have developed friendships, some with people I know only electronically even to this day, but friendships that mean a great deal to me It has kept me connected in many ways - with issues, with people It has challenged my thi
after two weeks of classes, another reflection on teaching
It does and does not feel like two weeks of classes:  Monday the first week only freshmen were in the building, and this past week we were off for Labor Day and for Rosh Hashanah.  Thus I have only been "teaching" for 7 days.  But then, our classes are except on advisory days 90 minutes long, and on advisory days over 70.  So in terms of class time it has been longer than what I would have spent w