Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, August 26, 2013

We Need More EdTech, But Less Technology In The Classroom | toteachornototeach

We Need More EdTech, But Less Technology In The Classroom | toteachornototeach:

We Need More EdTech, But Less Technology In The Classroom
by Jordan Shapiro
Technology plays a primary role in my teaching, but I rarely turn on the computer that makes the classroom “smart.”
Occasionally, I project the class tweet stream. I am an advocate of Twitter for higher ed. But generally, during class time, I try to avoid mediating my connection with students through technology. Face-to-face time is reserved for facilitating old fashioned conversation and discussion. Outside of class, however, my students are bombarded with digital learning resources.
In Temple University’s Intellectual Heritage Department, I teach Mosaic 1 & 2: a two semester sequence that’s required core curriculum for every Temple University student. These are courses that focus on interpretive reading, critical thinking, and persuasive writing–a course designed to “introduce students to foundational texts from cultural and intellectual traditions worldwide.” It is standard liberal arts fare, what David Brooks referred