Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, August 11, 2013

Teacher who left: Why I am returning to school

Teacher who left: Why I am returning to school:

Teacher who left: Why I am returning to school

Colorful Chalk at ChalkboardEarly this year I published a piece by award-winning veteran teacher Kenneth Bernstein, entitled “A warning to college profs from a high school teacher.” It went viral when it was first posted and has done so again, and has had hundreds of thousands of readers. When Bernstein wrote the piece, he was retiring after a long career. Here is a new piece by Bernstein, who explains why he is returning to the classroom.
Bernstein is known nationally as a blogger writing under the name “teacherken.” He blogs about education, politics, human rights, music, the environment, and other topics. He is most visible at Daily Kos, where he is the most recommended author in the site’s history.
By Kenneth Bernstein
In 2012 when I retired from teaching, I was asked to write a magazine piece letting professors know what to expect from the generation of students arriving on their campuses having completed their education under No Child Left Behind and other moder school reforms, including Race to the Top. The piece, commissioned by my friend and magazine editor Aaron Barlow,  appeared in February on the website of Academe, a publication of the American Association of University Professors, and Valerie republished it on this blog under the headline, “A warning to college profs from a high school teacher.”  That piece went viral. It got over 100,000 likes on Facebook  alone and a comment stream that exceeded my ability to respond. I received several