Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, August 10, 2013

Saturday coffee AUGUST 10, 2013 | Fred Klonsky

Saturday coffee. | Fred Klonsky:

Saturday coffee.

AUGUST 10, 2013
chaos
This is a late Saturday Coffee post.
While retirement may mean that everyday is Saturday, some Saturdays are not like others.
I got up early. I fed Ulysses and let him out to do his stuff, letting Anne take him for his morning walk.
I rode my bike up to the Logan Square train stop and rode the EL downtown (using my senior discount card) to a meeting of social justice educators from around the U.S.
I listened more than talked and was impressed with what I heard.
When I got back to the Logan Square station somebody had ripped off my bike seat. It was a quick release and easy to do. Luckily my neighbor Kevin’s bike shop, Boulevard Bikes, is right across the street.
“My bike seat got stolen,” I said.
“Don’t feel alone,” the young bike technician reassured me.
“I’m not looking for that kind of community,” I whined.
“We can put a bolt on it. They will need a tool to take it off. It’s only a deterrent. Everything is just a deterrent.”
“Let’s try that, ” I said. “I just locked it at the train stop.”
“A hot bed of criminal activity,” he laughed.
Speaking of hot beds of criminal activity, the Gang of Ten pension conference committee of the Illinois legislature adjourned yesterday, having agreed to nothing.
Gang of Ten member Bill Brady, who also is a Tea Party candidate for Governor said 
Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.
Fred Klonsky | Daily posts from a retired public school teacher who is just looking at the data.:Chicago reporters. An endangered species. Not dead yet, but on life-support.There was a time when Chicago investigative reporters were the envy of cities across the country. This was even before Woodward and Bernstein. Now there are just a few who even deserve the title. Ben Joravsky on the corrupt use