Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Kendrick Lamar's Control (Happy Birthday, Hip-Hop) - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson

Kendrick Lamar's Control (Happy Birthday, Hip-Hop) - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson:

Kendrick Lamar’s Control (Happy Birthday, Hip-Hop)

by JOSE VILSON on AUGUST 13, 2013
Kendrick Lamar as MLK Jr.
Kendrick Lamar as MLK Jr.
“What are you listening to?”
I know. I’m not supposed to have kids listening to their iPods in school. It was after the ELA state test, and they needed to decompress after another long period of little to no movement.
“What do you mean, Mr. V?”
“I mean, what are you listening to?”
“You know, stuff.”
“Stuff? Like, what kind of stuff?”
“Umm, rap, you know …” as he waves his hands, presumably to shy away from actually answering what he’s listening to.
“Like …” I’m not afraid.
“Chief Keef.”
“What song?” with my sternest Mr. Vilson voice.
“Ballin’.”
Was he serious?
“Yeah, like, the song is just about ballin’.”
I didn’t ask for lyrics. When he told me the next song was called “Macaroni Time,” I didn’t push him any further.
A few months later, we’re celebrating the 40th anniversary of hip-hop, a rebel music born
- See more at: http://thejosevilson.com/kendrick-lamars-control-happy-birthday-hip-hop/