Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

8-20-13 SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE

SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE:

gears





Farewell, John; Hello, Hanna!
I’m feeling a little anxious tonight.  You ever get that feeling where you’re about to jump into a situation that can make a big difference, but can also get you in a lot of trouble?  Well, I feel that I am on the verge of making a big difference.  And, really, the only person who […]


@thechalkface and @slekar mix it up with @henryrollins
Let’s see.  We’ve interviewed historians, educators, journalists, activists, moms, dads, and students.  Today we got to talk to badass celebrity Henry Rollins.  I know Shaun already posted a link to the show but here is another one.   In case you’re not sure who Henry Rollins is here’s a quick wickipedia excerpt: Henry Rollins (born February […]


A BIG thank you to @henryrollins for being At the Chalk Face today
I mean, did you ever see this coming?  I didn’t. I want to apologize for the one caller who stayed diligently on hold today. I didn’t feel cool with clicking over to callers. I had to do the show from a Starbucks today because of work, and that schools don’t let BlogTalkRadio pass their firewalls.  […]



Opting Out is not just in the spring anymore.
For New York Parents: The spring 3-8 state assessments get a great deal of attention, but there are other mandated tests that could be used to evaluate teachers.  These additional tests cause our children to lose more instruction time and impact all grade levels- preK-12.  Families need to say enough is enough and boycott any […]
A Public School System from Hell
MONDAY, AUG 19, 2013 07:01 PM EDT   At Salon.com “Indescribably insane”: A public school system from hell


Quick note on PD in #k12
A quick thought. When consultants do training on products, why do they feel the need to immediately disclaim that they don’t do sales or receive commissions? I know the materials are paid for, but what is this besides sales conference?

“Honesty is such a lonely word…”: Jeb Bush Lacks Credibility
It is becoming a disturbing refrain in my head whenever I visit Twitter: Where’s the media? Jeb Bush offers a string of claims, no relevant evidence, and the all-too-usual glossing over of real educational problems in “Toward a Better Education System: A set of bold, proven reforms is the key to raising student achievement.” This commentary […]
8-19-13 Schools Matter @ The Chalk Face
SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE:  How YOU Doin’?A friend asked me just a day ago, “How are you holding up? Sending a child off to college and the start of school can be very stressful.” I will admit that I went a bit of a rant – and fortunately for me the friend understood. How am I doing? Turns out – not […]by antiqueteacher60 / 2min  8-18-13 Schools Matter @ The Chalk FaceSCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CH