Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, August 1, 2013

8-1-13 SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE

SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE:

gears




Control for this!
Last night my wife had a totally different idea than I about how to handle a parenting situation.  I insisted that my “Dad way” was needed.  My wife simply looked at me (the wrong way) and I decided to loudly (yell) say that I “was sick of being undermined when it comes to being a […]


Why Can’t DFER Deal Will Education Evidence?
Mac LeBuhn, of Democrats for Education Reform (DFER), started his six-part book club series on Jal Mehta’s The Allure of Order with the solid statement on its conclusion that the standards-based accountability policy paradigm “is an ill-conceived and inadequate response to America’s domestic and international achievement gaps.” But, LeBuhn downplays Mehta’s findings. Mehta, for instance, […]


“Track and Improve Your School Culture”
LiveSchool is a start-up in the total surveillance urban school business that offers a tech tool for meting out rewards and punishments.  It is unapologetically based on the “banking model” of education, and it has been embraced by Bloomberg and other Wall Street hustlers as a way to make a dirty buck on the backs […]


#TFA neophytes will now get to adopt wards of the state. No joke.
You too can become a surrogate for any child who is a ward of the state of IL. It’s just that easy. See here to “join.” Submit your own proposal to be a surrogate parent. Why would we let TFA do this? Because poor kids, that’s why.
I had to try to DCSD school choice selector.
Edushyster brought me to this and I had to try it out for myself. This has to be one of the most inane ideas I’ve seen a while, and I want to know what bonehead earning six figures came up with this: the School Choice Selector. Here’s the opening image: First, you have to sort […]

From St. Louis’s Leafy Suburbs: Equal Education for All Unless You’re Black or Poor
“I think that any time you disturb a culture — you’re bringing in a variable that is unknown — I think it has the ability to create some unrest because you don’t know how the variable’s going to play out in the culture you already have.” No, that wasn’t George Wallace in 1963–that was Pam […]

John Merrow, Welcome to Our World of the Ignored
At his Taking Note blog, John Merrow laments: “The op-ed below has been rejected by four newspapers, three of them national publications. One editor’s rejection note said that Michelle Rhee was not a national story.” On Twitter, Rachel Levy, though, noted: “That @John_Merrow story that no one will print? I did so 2.5 yrs ago.” Her […]


  
7-31-13 Schools Matter @ The Chalk Face
SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE: Barbara Madeloni running for MTA PresidentFriend and stalwart sister in arms Barbara Madeloni is running for President of the Massachusetts Teachers Association. If you’re in the state, or know someone who is, consider throwing your support behind this campaign. by Chalk Face, PhD / 7min 7-30-13 Schools Matter @ The Chalk FaceSCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE: To fol