Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

10 things I want all new teachers to know | Connected Principals

10 things I want all new teachers to know | Connected Principals:

10 things I want all new teachers to know

August 7, 2013
By 
This year I am working closely with our BTAP (beginning teacher assistance program) to help plan and develop some beginning of the year trainings. For the record, our BTAP committee has been doing a wonderful job over the years, however like anything, we are always looking to improve and do it better each year.
This year we have 22 brand new never taught still don’t know what I’m doing teachers in our district. Now, I’m not sure about you and your district, but from where I come from that is a lot of new teachers! Consequently, we want and NEED to have a strong new teacher program to help with this transition. As many are aware, almost 50% of new teachers exit the profession by their 5th year. This number makes me a little uncomfortable, so anything I can do to help with new teachers is the least I can do!
So here is my list of what I want all new teachers to know:

1) – It’s Ok to look and feel like this. If being scared wasn’t supposed to happen from time to time, then we wouldn’t be human. Don’t be afraid of what you don’t know and aren’t sure about. Take everything in stride and accept that you are going to make mistakes. The key is making sure you learn from those mistakes.
2) – Find time during your off period to go observe other classrooms in your building. Even if the content and/or age