Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 26, 2013

Reflection on GLSEN/UNESCO Convening on Global Safe Schools for LGBT Youth « Feminist Teacher

Reflection on GLSEN/UNESCO Convening on Global Safe Schools for LGBT Youth « Feminist Teacher:

Reflection on GLSEN/UNESCO Convening on Global Safe Schools for LGBT Youth





During the World Congress on Comparative Education in Buenos Aires, I presented my Fulbright research on LGBT youth in Mexico City's schools (photo: Steven Toledo/GLSEN).
During the World Congress on Comparative Education in Buenos Aires, I presented my Fulbright research on LGBT youth in Mexico City’s schools (photo: Steven Toledo/GLSEN).
Last month, I had the honor of attending a convening in Buenos Aires hosted byGLSEN (Gay, Lesbian, Straight Education Network) and UNESCO to launch a global network of activists and researchers to support LGBT youth in schools. Our daylong meeting created the foundation of a strategic plan for providing LGBT students and their teachers the resources, research, and advocacy they need to create safe schools for all.
Surrounded by advocates and scholars from over 20 countries, I learned how much global queer groups care about teachers and the work we do in supporting LGBT students. From Brazil to China to Slovenia and South Africa, the diverse contexts that students and teachers learn and teach in are being accounted for in the current research and activism of the global safe schools movement.
As the only teacher-researcher at the convening, I came knowing that my voice as a practicing educator was one that is rarely heard in these urgent conversations. I had been selected to join the convening due to my Distinguished Fulbright research on