Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

My response to what I thought Rick Hess’s Monsters University review was going to be | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

My response to what I thought Rick Hess’s Monsters University review was going to be | Gary Rubinstein's Blog:

My response to what I thought Rick Hess’s Monsters University review was going to be

So this is pretty hypothetical, as you can glean from the title.
I took my five year old daughter to see Monsters University the other day.  This is a prequel to Pixar’s Monsters Inc., one of the best movies ever made, animated or not.  I’m generally a sucker for anything Pixar, with the exception of the highly overrated ‘Finding Nemo.’
A few days before seeing the movie, I was intrigued by a tweet I read about how Rick Hess, the generally corporate-reform leaning blogger for Ed Week, had written a review about this movie for his latest blog.  As I didn’t want the movie to be ‘spoiled’  (spoiler alert — this entry I’m writing will give away the whole move) I didn’t read it before seeing the movie.
As the movie unfolded, I kept thinking about how Hess might weave his review into something to support the corporate reform movement.  I thought I had figured it out and was disappointed when I got home and read his actual review, which can be found here.  I was completely prepared to rebut what I assumed his analysis would be, so I’ve decided to write it anyway,