Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, July 1, 2013

Louisiana Educator: BESE Member Dr Lottie Beebe Letter to Editor

Louisiana Educator: BESE Member Dr Lottie Beebe Letter to Editor:

BESE Member Dr Lottie Beebe Letter to Editor

A recent Baton Rouge Advocate Story about a discussion between BESE member Dr Lottie Beebe and Superintendent John White prompted her to send the following letter to the editor. (I have not seen the letter in The Advocate so I am printing it here)

Dear Editor:
I am writing this letter to the Editor to clarify what I stated publicly at the June 19th BESE meeting. I began my presentation by thanking all educators in Louisiana for their commitment to improving educational outcomes for our students. Additionally:
  • I praised the efforts of teachers and school leaders who are embracing the challenges of school reform despite the haphazard and hasty implementation. 
  • I stated it is a “sad day in Louisiana when we start “pitting” one group against the other-- a transparent strategy employed by John White to divide and conquer;” and
  • there are many challenges in today’s classrooms for both Teach for America (TFA) and traditional teachers.
At Tuesday’s BESE Committee meeting, I listened to supporters of TFA who suggested that TFA teachers are more effective than traditional teachers. I will acknowledge my temper flared; specifically, when I heard John