Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, July 5, 2013

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: "Just" a Teacher?: The Perception of our Profession!

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: "Just" a Teacher?: The Perception of our Profession!:

"Just" a Teacher?: The Perception of our Profession!

This post was originally written December 23, 2010.
view details

As I prepared dinner the other night, my son and I talked. Somehow, our conversation turned to my level of intelligence. In order to prove my point, I shared with him that I was enrolled in gifted programs all my life, in fact, I had even skipped a grade. 

He laughed and said, “If you’re so smart, how come you’re just a teacher?” "

Just a teacher?”, I thought. I was flabbergasted! Yet, at the same time, my mind raced, questioning my chosen occupation. An occupation I had loved for 26 years. He continued, “If you’re so smart, why aren't you a doctor or a lawyer?” Ouch!

I told him, “I am that smart, but I have chosen to teach”. It brought to mind part of that horrible quote, “Those who can’t, teach.” I asked him who he thinks taught those doctors and lawyers. He responded, “Bill Gates didn't go to college, and he’s a millionaire!” 

I answered, “But he did attend Kindergarten through 12th grade, right?” Who do you