Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

7-24-13 SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE

SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE:

gears




Meet the new “controversial” Dean.
I have almost finished my 4th week as the Dean of the School of Education at Edgewood College in Madison, WI. Today I did my first television appearance.  I was interviewed by Wisconsin Eye. I went into the interview feeling pretty good.  I knew I was going to be interviewed for 30 minutes by Steve […]


Why My Students Do Not Need Teach for America
Wow, there has been such a flurry of stories and discussions in regards to Teach for America and its destructive role in education today.  I suppose my letter to new recruits played an important part in calling into question this organization, striking a chord of truth.  TFA has gone into full-time PR mode with a […]

Just as we expected? Modules = test prep skills.
I have been looking through the new Common Core aligned modules on the New York State Education Department’s EngageNY website as the folks in Albany have been constantly promoting the new curriculum.  I have produced two reactions recently to my suspicions that these high priced modules are nothing more than a scripted curriculum. Today as […]

Why TEAC (CAEP) Accreditation Means Less than Zero
In May TEAC provided the for- profit American College of Education (ACE) the official stamp of approval to prey on the poor and the unsuspecting who want to be teachers.  ACE has a sordid history of exploitation and grandiose scheming, some of which is documented here.  ACE is a subsidiary of Higher Ed Holdings, LLC, which […]

A new Hart sponsored AFT survey, this time with parents #teach13
The AFT released a new HART survey of parental attitudes towards prevailing education policies. Here’s your sample: This national survey consisted of interviews with 1,003 public school parents (parents with children who attend a regular public school and/or a charter public school), with a margin of error on survey results at ±3.1 percentage points. The […]


No PARCCing
Have your heard about the PARCC Asseesments?  The Partnership for Assessment for Readiness for College and Careers is a collection of 22 states that will be producing a series of Common Core aligned exams.  The PARCC Assessments are scheduled to begin in the 2014-15 school year. Promotion for the PARCC consortium has begun just as […]



7-23-13 Schools Matter @ The Chalk Face
SCHOOLS MATTER @ THE CHALK FACE: Dear North Carolina ColleaguesYou know what I miss about North Carolina?  Go on, guess.  It’s what every former transplant says. I miss the ability to order sweet tea in any restaurant I go to and I miss BBQ pulled pork that actually has a smoky taste.  Syracuse just hasn’t found the charm in those two things yet. I […]by Kris Nielsen / 5h   7-22-13 Schools Matter