Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Why So Serious? [On Demeanors In The Classroom] - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson

Why So Serious? [On Demeanors In The Classroom] - The Jose Vilson | The Jose Vilson:

Why So Serious? [On Demeanors In The Classroom]


Serious cat.
Serious cat.
“Why are you so serious all the time, Mr. Vilson?”
The students just finished giving me my student evaluations, something I thought I’d try this year, but probably waited too long in the year to do.
“Well, it depends …”
And before I could finish, my co-teacher put me on blast by saying that it depends on the situation. The yearbook has a picture of me smiling for the first time all year, sometime during a few thrilling renditions of my favorite band songs. I probably didn’t smile or much until this month, either.
How do I put this? There’s a teacher rule out there that says we shouldn’t smile at the kids until Christmas. It’s