Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, June 13, 2013

My Problem With School Student Voice

Student Voice:

My Problem With School

Repost from Huffington Press Education.
I have a problem with school and it is not just forcing myself out of bed every morning to go and sit through six hours of boringness. It’s not that I have to get ready just to see people whom I’m not too fond of and it’s also not fighting my way through the hallways like it’s The Hunger Games between every class. My problem with school is that you’re evaluated solely based on your weaknesses instead of your strengths. Albert Einstein said, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.” When I first read this quote, I was taken aback; it summed up my school experience so perfectly. Teachers aren’t entirely evil, but it seems as if it is their job to show their students that we don’t understand course material. Why is that?
Think about a test you recently wrote, do you feel as if your knowledge of the subject matter was properly conveyed to your teacher? I feel as if our schools are designed to highlight our weaknesses instead of what we, as students, excel at. Have you ever had an assignment that you know you just won’t excel at? For example,