Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

UPDATE: Karen Lewis to the City Club of Chicago: On baseball and budgets. “When I was a kid, I used to dream that one day I’d play right along-side Minnie Minoso or Sandy Koufax.” | Fred Klonsky

Karen Lewis to the City Club of Chicago: On baseball and budgets. “When I was a kid, I used to dream that one day I’d play right along-side Minnie Minoso or Sandy Koufax.” | Fred Klonsky:


Here it goes. Occupy Lafayette.

1000417_566911110014833_1293591656_n
“School occupation in progress at Lafayette Elementary! Parents and students are occupying, and students are blockading doors to prevent the removal of supplies, but they need back up. 2714 W Augusta.” – From Occupy Rogers Park.

Occupied’: Protesters blockade Chicago elementary school to protest closing [photos]

Parents and students have occupied Lafayette School, one of the CPS schools Rahm chose to close.
Micah Utrecht is Tweeting from inside.
‘Occupied’: Protesters blockade Chicago elementary school to protest closing [photos].

Ten minute drawing. There is something about these folks…

folks

Click on image to enlarge.

If you’re going to take a poll, at least ask the right question.

Ralph Martire
My friend and retired teacher colleague Curtis writes, “And so called “Pension Reform” is still the only action being considered while all other “real” and effective means of generating revenue for the state are ignored. The allegiance of Rats and Fat Cats continues. They should be sent to prison with the other political crooks!”

The in box. TRS Trustee Bob Lyons: “Be prepared for the General Assembly to finally give Quinn something to sign.”

TRS board of trustee member Bob Lyons, elected to represent retirees on the board, is less confident that the stalemate in Springfield will continue past July. He adds that if something gets past it will set the stage for the next battle to protect what is ours. He writes:
Rich Miller in this morning’s CapitolFax said they are talking compromise on the pension.  I think that we all knew that at some point at some time they were going to finally pass a pension reduction bill and that we would be in it.  It will not be Wednesday, but maybe July.  It will be a compromise between Cullerton’s bill and Madigan’s more substantial cuts.  And it will be closer 

Will Illinois politicians watch as the house burns? It looks that way.


alfred_e_neuman(2)The game playing will continue until July.
Maybe until 2015.
Unemployment in Illinois remains high. In Chicago it is, shockingly, over 10%
Public services continue to be cut.
Schools closed.
Teachers fired.
And the political leadership in Springfield continues to fiddle.
The Madman has blocked any vote on the We Are One/Cullerton SB2404. That bill was doomed from the start 

Karen Lewis to the City Club of Chicago: On baseball and budgets. “When I was a kid, I used to dream that one day I’d play right along-side Minnie Minoso or Sandy Koufax.”

baseball and budgets
Here is the full text of CTU President Karen Lewis’s great speech to the City Club of Chicago.
“Let me say I told you in the beginning that I love baseball. But in 1969 I fell out of love with the sport after the Cubs lost to the raggedly Mets. I couldn’t believe it. I was done. And up until 2009 I wanted nothing more to do with the sport that as a little kid I once vowed to make history as the first female pitcher in the major leagues. I turned my sights to tennis and every now and then a good ole’ boxing match.
“Now I’m a huge White Sox fan. Going to the games now is bringing back all of those feel good memories I had with my Father—and I’m glad to be in love with the great