Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Fifty years ago today: George Wallace's misbegotten Stand in... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

Fifty years ago today: George Wallace's misbegotten Stand in... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com:

Get Schooled: Fifty years ago today: George Wallace's misbegotten Stand in the Schoolhouse Door

Stand in the Schoolhouse Door
Stand in the Schoolhouse Door
 Today marks the 50th anniversary of Alabama Gov.  George Wallace’s infamous “Stand in the Schoolhouse Door," where he symbolically stood in the doorway at the University of Alabama to defy a federal desegregation order to allow the enrollment of two black students.
In Alabama.com, there is a wonderful interview with Wallace’s daughter Peggy Wallace Kennedy, who spent June 11, 1963, at the lake with her mother. She was 13 at the time.
It has taken me a lifetime to step out from the shadow of the schoolhouse door. I just found my voice. I was inspired by President Obama a lot when he said that change can come, and we need to move forward. 
I decided I wanted to leave a legacy for my children ... one of change. If you have the courage to find your own voice, you can make change. I