Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, June 28, 2013

Daily Kos: I'm sorry I'm not in a classroom this week

Daily Kos: I'm sorry I'm not in a classroom this week:

I'm sorry I'm not in a classroom this week

and glad that I will again be teaching government (among other things) come August.
A major part of my approach to teaching government is to connect students with what is happening in the world around them.
It is hard to imagine a week richer than this for material on class discussion.
From the Congress, we have the combination of the Senate passing a sweeping immigration reform bill and the Speaker effectively saying it is DOA.
From the Supreme Court we have a wealth of decisions, not merely the blockbusters on Prop 8, DOMA, and Voting Rights Act, but also on the ability of corporations to force people to binding arbitration and an expanded notion of the takings clause of the 5th Amendment.  And of course, there are the ongoing issues about Snowden, Freedom of the Press, the Espionage Act, and related.
Let me offer some observations of how rich class discussions could be.