Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

An 18-Year-Old’s Partially Successful Campaign for School Board Student Voice

Student Voice:

An 18-Year-Old’s Partially Successful Campaign for School Board

In April 2013, I launched a campaign for a position on the Norwich City School District Board of Education. I just happened to be the youngest candidate for office in the history of my district, city, and county. Unfortunately I did not win; I did, however, receive over a third of the vote in a seven person race for three seats, which I believe is an achievement on its own.
Most 18-year-old candidates for school board run on a typical platform (bring a student’s perspective to education and other general reforms). My campaign, however, was different and unique—even for an 18-year-old. I discussed 3 critical issues in my campaign: long-term fiscal security, academic achievements, and technology. I ran as someone concerned for the distant future of my school district, something no other candidate wanted to talk about. I asked the troubling questions, such as: “How are we going to pay for staff pensions in 15 years?” or “What are we doing for the economically disadvantaged students in our schools?” and “Are our classrooms technologically efficient for the 21st century?” These are issues students need to be concerned about because