Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive

Reflections on Teaching » Blog Archive:


Number - 33

It is really starting to feel like we need a vacation. This is the time of year when I do not dare ask students the question, “Have you lost your minds?” because they are likely to respond, “Why, yes we have!” with a nod and a bemused smile. SERIOUSLY! Each class has it’s own rhythm.  Mine starts the week with a roar, mellows by mid-week, and starts to rev-up again as the week winds down. My co-worker’s class is somnolent on Mondays. I will just share a couple things I’m doing now to make it all better.
NO COUNTDOWNS EVER! My students asked why I didn’t have a countdown to summer vacation. I told them I thought it was unprofessional. I don’t mind the idea of the kids counting down so much (for pete’s sake they’re 12 years old, of course they’re looking forward to summer!), but I told them I thought it was unprofessional for me to be looking forward to not doing my job in front of the folks (them) that I work with. I may let them keep a