Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 20, 2013

Parenting education the foundation for healthy families | Health & Fitness | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon

Parenting education the foundation for healthy families | Health & Fitness | The Register-Guard | Eugene, Oregon


Parenting education the foundation for healthy families

PUBLISHED: 


Parenting education is one of the building blocks of a strong community.
In observance of the positive impact of parenting education, Gov. John Kitzhaber signed a proclamation declaring the week of May 19-25 as Oregon Parenting Education Week.
This is a good moment to look at the impact of learning to parent effectively:
Much data shows that parenting education works.
Readiness for kindergarten is enhanced when parents learn how they can support their child’s healthy development.
Parenting education helps prevent child abuse and neglect and associated concerns such as teen pregnancy, delinquency and substance abuse.
In 35 years of providing parenting groups, Parenting Now!, formerly Birth To Three, regularly hears comments such as:
“It has been wonderful to hear new ideas and advice.”
“We got so much useful information from our parent educator and other parents. It gave me a lot of tools to help raise my son.”
“A highlight was sharing with other parents and talking about our lives.”
“My wife had to drag me to the meetings in the beginning. I now look forward to the next meeting as soon as I’m out the door from the last meeting.”
“I learned that I am not alone. I do belong and have a community to help me. Now I can step back, count to 10 and take three deep breaths instead of yell at my child. I will finish high school and our daughter will have a good life.”
One of our exercises makes the point that parenting is a lifelong commitment. Parents are told to imagine their child as a young adult leaving home. The parent