Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

UPDATE: State releases new school grades + National Teacher Day: Instead of coffee mug or flowers,... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com

National Teacher Day: Instead of coffee mug or flowers,... | Get Schooled | www.ajc.com:



Get Schooled: State releases new school grades. How did your school fare?

The state Department of Education just released grades for all k-12 public schools in Georgia based on a brand new measures called the Georgia College and Career Ready Performance Index (CCRPI). There are scores for districts and schools.
Find your district school here. Once you do, please post about ...


Get Schooled: National Teacher Day: Instead of coffee mug or flowers, teachers want trust





I have been inundated with statements and releases on National Teacher Day, which is today. I thought this poll was the most interesting of the stuff sent to me.
This is from the National Education Association:
As part of this year’s celebration, the National Education Association conducted an online poll, asking teachers, “What do you want for National Teacher Day?”
Nearly 1,000 educators participated in the poll. Poll responses indicate that teachers still appreciate thank you cards, flowers and drawings from their students, but teachers also expressed growing concern and frustration with high stakes testing and the lack of classroom autonomy.
According to those participating in the online poll, the best “thank you” would be to:
 •“Trust my education and experience. Give me control over my students’ instruction and assessment” (29.1%)
•“Stop the standardized testing mania (28.06%)
•“Pay me the salary I deserve” (19.98%)
•“Smaller classes so I can give more