Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, May 12, 2013

My Mom’s Story | Lefty Parent

My Mom’s Story | Lefty Parent:


My Mom’s Story

Jane Grad Pic 2 B&W

In honor of Mother’s Day this is a reposting of the bio I wrote on my mom, Jane Roberts, who died in 2006 at the age of 83. She had a long life with successes and failures, and became a great mentor and at times even comrade to me. During my teenage years in the early 1970s her struggle to recover from her divorce from my dad led me to finally start seeing her as a person like me, and not some iconic parental figure. That realization transformed my life…
Childhood in Dedham, Massachusetts
Jane right with brother John left and neighborhood friend
Jane Roberts was born in Dedham Massachusetts, outside Boston on December 29, 1923 to her father George Roberts and her mother Caroline Glaser Roberts. Her father had served in the US Navy in World War I on a submarine, was a talented tap dancer who performed in the Chautauqua Circuit but settled down to work in the jewelry business after marrying “Carrie” and starting a family. Her mother was a skilled executive secretary who also loved to have parties and entertain her guests playing the piano and singing. Jane’s brother John, who she