Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Louisiana Educator: Proposed Changes to Discipline and Bullying Laws

Louisiana Educator: Proposed Changes to Discipline and Bullying Laws:


Proposed Changes to Discipline and Bullying Laws

My post of May 7 on this blog included a short discussion of HB 646 (click on the bill number to see the engrossed version of the bill) and my concerns that the bill may possibly water down the discipline law and may adversely affect the learning environment in classrooms. With those concerns in mind, I approached the author of the bill, Patricia Smith of Baton Rouge, to discuss my concerns. To her great credit she suggested a prompt meeting with the coalition of representatives of the group Louisiana Progress, children advocates and educators who had helped to draft the bill so that we could attempt to propose amendments to the bill before the floor vote.

A meeting occurred on the evening of May 7 with Rep. Smith and the child advocate coalition and representatives of LAE, LFT and observers from the School Boards' Association. I and others presented our proposals for amendments and a thorough discussion produced what I believe to be a reasonable compromise on the major issues.   I am presenting a paraphrasing of the proposed amendments below with the understanding that the actual language is still being drafted by the legislative staff.  The following is my best