Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Dystopia: A Possible Future of Teacher Evaluation - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Dystopia: A Possible Future of Teacher Evaluation - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


Dystopia: A Possible Future of Teacher Evaluation

Picture our public schools in the year 2018. What follows is an attempt to see a few short years into the future, to understand how current reform proposals may develop.
I have been highly skeptical about the proposals from the Gates Foundation regarding teacher evaluation, because they do not correspond with how I have seen teachers collaborate and grow together. There is the language of feedback and growth, but I am fearful of a dystopian outline I see emerging, driven by Gates' technocratic vision. The "system" has been described in vague terms - elements of student and parent feedback, teacher observations, videotapes - and a $5 billion price tag. To offer some perspective, assuming there are five million classrooms in America, that amounts to about $1000 per classroom. What is all this money going to buy?
I want to describe the possible future I see, and I want to hear from others. Do you see what I see? Am I wrong to be uneasy or even fearful of this?