Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, May 27, 2013

Bob Lyons speculates on the week ahead. And so do I. | Fred Klonsky

Bob Lyons speculates on the week ahead. And so do I. | Fred Klonsky:

Bob Lyons speculates on the week ahead. And so do I.

In the post below my friend Bob Lyons speculates on the week ahead in Springfield.
Nobody knows more about the pension situation than Bob. He is a member of the TRS board of trustees and serves us well in that position.
But I was struck by his thinking when it comes to the role of the Chicago Teachers Union.
Look for Cullerton on the other hand to attempt to convince the Chicago Teachers Union to accept the same deal as the state union coalition agreed to and to have the Chicago Teacher Pension fund be included in SB2404.  His idea is that with the CTU backing the bill a number of city Democrats will push the Speaker for a vote on the measure.
Now, I have no inside information on the role of the CTU in all this.
However, I can speculate with the best of them about it.
Many Chicago teachers that I know are supportive of the cost shift.
This is because in their minds, they are paying twice. CPS pensions are funded by Chicago taxes and state