Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

UPDATE: Toolkit Tuesday + Zak Malamed – Our Student Voice to Discover Student Voice

Student Voice:



Toolkit Tuesday – Technology Resources

As we prepare for the 2013 Student Voice Live! Summit this Saturday in New York City, New York, I encourage you to check out the following resources to support with your leadership endeavours.
From venues to help schedule conference calls, to ways to collaborate on a project, this resource is your go-to list!




Clement Coulston is an Elementary Teacher Education Student at the University of Delaware. He is a member of the Special Olympics Project UNIFY® National Youth Activation Committee and a Youth Leader with theNational School Climate Center, co-creating an inaugural 2013 Policy Institute.  He recently co-authored a publication on School Climate and Inclusion. Clem is a Student Voice Social Activist, which is a grassroots organization working towards including Students in the Education Reform discussions now!   All Change Agents, please Join me on Twitter @clementc26.

*DISCLAIMER*
Although the StuVoice.org site may include links providing direct access to other Internet resources, including Web sites, Student Voice is not responsible for the accuracy or content of information contained in these sites.


Zak Malamed – Our Student Voice to Discover

The Huffington Post will be promoting various Student Voice articles prior to the Student Voice Live! summit on April 13th.

The following is from Zak Malamed 
zak-malamed

I was 18 years old. On January 16, 2012 a student, who shall remain nameless, contacted me through a 700-student member Facebook group, and expressed interest in what “cool projects [I had] been working on.” Being an over-involved student, it was not unusual for me to receive such messages, but we had no mutual friends, no past interaction, and we lived hours away from each other.
Despite being a so-called digital native, I was not born into a digital world; so those who think that receiving messages like this one were considered the norm by me, are wrong. It may come as a surprise, but I do remember a time when the playground was among the few places where children would communicate with their friends and make new ones.
By the turn of the century, I was introduced to instant messaging, which was a cutting edge form of connecting. At times, I spent hours hammering away at my keypad with people whom I had never met. The method got old,