Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Understanding 'No Excuses' - Bridging Differences - Education Week

Understanding 'No Excuses' - Bridging Differences - Education Week:


Understanding 'No Excuses'

Today, Deborah Meier continues her blog conversation with Elliott Witney.
Dear Elliott,
We're going to have to converse for more than a month to get ourselves straightened out! It would be a useful learning experience for me so I'm hoping you're willing.
I've been trying for the past few months to get into a healthy and vigorous disagreement with some other bloggers. It has been much more difficult than I anticipated it would be to get people to engage in constructive sparring. So it occurs to me that I may have jumped in too abruptly in our case. Here's another attempt to trouble the water between us a little more gingerly—pursuing the issues around discipline before moving on to other topics.

It is well known that KIPP has a discipline model called the "Porch" that has been documented in Jay Mathew's book, among many other accounts. (Do you know the history of that term: the porch? It's a term that comes up in an early Zora Neal Hurston novel, I think.) The approach includes students turning their shirts inside out,